Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Carmelitas

Ever find a dessert that you can't stop making? That is what keeps happening with these carmelitas. Last week at the gym of all places, a friend asked if I had ever had carmelitas. I told her no and she said that she made some this weekend and they were amazing. I was very intrigued to say the least.

I went home and looked it up online and there were tons of recipes and they all looked delicious. I decided to try this one. It makes an 8x8 pan and I luckily I had everything I needed in my pantry (even though the caramels were from 2 Halloweens ago). 

I had one bite.

I turned around and made another batch. 

Then two days later made another batch and I am probably making them for the Superbowl on Sunday. They are that amazing.

 

Carmelitas 
adapted slightly from Lulu the Baker
*The recipe says to cool completely before cutting which is great when you want bars but we wanted some and couldn't wait and scooped it in to a bowl and ate it with vanilla ice cream. It was amazing.

32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned or quick)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

**To make a 9x13" version, simply double the amounts.

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING! Darn gym rats tempting you with shameful foods! ;o) There is a brownie w/caramel in the middle on pinterest that I might be trying for our superbowl.

    ReplyDelete