Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Not Too Sweet Magical Frosting

I saw this frosting in one of my fav magazines but it looked very similar to one on Tasty Kitchen I have tried several times and it never came out very successful. I tried different techniques and it always came out the same way... I could see the potential but didn't know how to get it to perfection but then I saw over on Mel's Kitchen Cafe that she had tried the recipe from Cook's Country and made it successfully so I figured I would give it a shot for Kellen's birthday and I am so glad I did. It's not too sweet but it is insanely creamy and amazing. I don't know what happens in the hour it sits but when I first tasted it I could kind of feel the texture of the cornstarch and I started getting nervous but after I frosted it and tried it again it was unbelievable!


Better than Buttercream Frosting
*Makes about 4 cups frosting (plenty for two 9-inch cake layers)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
24 tablespoons (3 sticks) butter, cut into 24 pieces and softened at room temperature

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a medium saucepan and pour the milk mixture through the strainer into the saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and is thick enough that it starts to become difficult to easily whisk. This could take anywhere between 5-10 minutes, depending on your stove, heat, etc. It should bubble quite a bit at the end (be careful of the splatters) and thicken considerably.

Transfer the mixture to a clean bowl and cool to room temperature. This is a very important step. Not warmth at all!! If it is warm the butter would melt and not beat up properly. I set it on the counter and did laundry and ran errands while it cooled.

Once you check the milk mixture and it is room temperature beat in the vanilla on low speed until it is well combined. Increase the speed to med and add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat the frosting until all the butter has been incorporated fully, about 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium-high beat the frosting for five minutes, until it is light and fluffy. Let the frosting sit at room temperature until it is a bit more stiff, about 1 hour. Frost whatever you desire and enjoy.

I made Kellen's cake two days early and put it in the fridge and it was great!!

Saw at Cook's Country and Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment