Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad

I have only very recently been turned on to the super grain called quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) and I love it! I wish I would have found it long ago. One of our local coffee shops (Jolts & Juice) has a tomato and black bean quinoa salad but the flavor was fairly muted and I wanted a little more flavor so I created this and it delish. I make it Sunday or Saturday and it provides lunch for me and sometimes Sam for the rest of the week.

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa Salad
adapted from Epicurious
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Rinse quinoa in cold water. Cook quinoa as you would rice. 2 cups of water to 1 cup quinoa. Bring to a boild and reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or til water is gone.

Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, and sugar. Once quinoa is cooked and drained pour dressing over and stir until the dressing is absorbed. Then add the beans, tomatoes,green onions, and cilantro. Serve immediately or refrigerate until you decide you want to eat an amazing delicious and healthy salad.

3 comments:

  1. Can you post a picture of this sometime? I am very curious as to what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog off of your facebook page. I LOVE that salad. I was thinking I needed to google the recipe. Now I don't have to I can get it from your blog - yippy! Where did you by the Quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "BUY" not "by" . . .I am blaming my redonkulous keyboard! Grrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete