Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Creamy Pear Pie.

I have a secret. I have never made a full pie all by myself. If I make a pie it has usually been from a store bought pie crust (Don't tell my Mom) or my Mom is in town and she makes the crust. I love to cook and bake but pie scares me. Probably because my Mom only uses an all butter crust (I've never seen shortening in my house as a kid) and once I attempted making pie it was summer and hot and warm butter does not make a great crust but I saw a recipe for Creamy Pear Pie and I had just received a bag of pears from Bountiful Baskets I figured I had to try it. I am so glad I did.

This pie is amazing. It tastes similar to apple but a different texture and consistency completely. We ate this pie cold and it was amazing. so do yourself a favor and try this. I will be posting the crust recipe later this week.



Creamy Pear Pie
Recipe by Our Best Bites

Ingredients:

About 1 1/2 lb. firm pears, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated like I almost did)
3 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons milk (I used 1%)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger


Preheat oven to 450. Roll the bottom of the pie crust into the pie plate. Toss the sliced pears in the flour. Arrange them evenly over the pie crust in the pie plate. Set aside. In the jar of a blender, combine the sweetened condensed milk, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and cream cheese. Blend until smooth. Pour evenly over the pear mixture. Use the remaining pie crust to form the top of the pie (we like to make a lattice top crust). Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the creamy mixture has thickened but not solidified. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment