Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

My Dad is a bread baking genius. Ever since I could remember he has baked his own bread. I don't know why I never learned from him. It was probably because he was very... particular about his bread. I can still remember getting in trouble for not slicing even pieces of bread. Even in my house, without my Dad present, I used to get nervous about cutting the bread but then I remembered it was my house and I (sometimes) purposefully cut uneven slices. Sorry Dad I guess I still have some rebellious teenager left in me.

I have now found the love of making my own bread. The house smells amazing and no mass produced bread can hold a candle to home made bread. It is delicious.

I found this Cinnamon Raisin bread recipe and loved it. It is a much drier loaf than I am used to but this last weekend we made french toast with it and it was divine. I have made it no less than 6 times since I found the recipe a couple weeks ago and there is always a loaf in the house. It is easy and delicious.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 tsp, plus 3 tblsp. sugar
2 and 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
5 tblsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup water
1 cup raisins

Stir the yeast, warm water, and 1/4 tsp sugar together in a small bowl. Let the mixture stand in a warm location until the yeast starts foaming, 5-10 minutes.
Combine the flours, remaining sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir well. Stir the yeast mixture, butter, and water into the flour mixture. Then stir in the raisins or work them in by hand. Let stand 10 minutes.
Knead in machine for 4-5 minutes.
Lightly oil a large bowl and turn the dough in it to coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl loosely with a kitchen town and let the dough rise in a warm location until it is doubled in size, 45 -60 minutes.
Oil a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Punch the dough down and shape it into a loaf. Press the loaf into the prepared pan and, again, cover it loosely with a kitchen towel. Let it rise in a warm place until it nearly fills the pan, 45-60 minutes. Do not over rise. This bread should barely peak out of the top of the pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread until the top is browned and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped with your finger, 30-35 minutes. Remove it from the pan and let it cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment