Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mmmmm... Sloppy Joes

My husband loves sloppy joes but the only kind I've ever had are the ones where you brown ground beef and add a can of sauce and it heats and you put it on a bun and dinner is served. I am not a fan of this meal. The only nights we had it were the nights that I had dinner plans so I wouldn't have to eat it. Until I decided to go on a hunt for a delicious sloppy joe recipe.

I love the internet. You can type in something as basic as Homemade Sloppy Joes and you get hundreds of websites. Thank you to AllRecipes because I now love sloppy  joes.

I made my own hamburger buns (recipe to follow) and they were delish.  Quick and easy. Plus they were so nice to take as leftovers. It is also a great freezer meal just reheat over med-low heat so it doesn't burn.


Sloppy Joes
adapted from AllRecipes

*The recipe calls for  smoky BBQ sauce but all I had was Sweet Baby Rays so I added a teaspoon of liquid smoke and it was amazing.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 ½ pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2/3 cup smoky BBQ sauce
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
8 to 12 potato rolls

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is finely crumbled, the liquid boils off and the meat begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease off the meat and onions. Stir in the tomato paste, and keep stirring until the meat is coated. Add the BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. You can make the sloppy joe meat up to 2 days in advance and reheat it over low heat or in the microwave.

Wrap the rolls in aluminum foil and warm in the oven for about 10 minutes. Serve the sloppy joes hot with the warmed rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment