Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2012

Egg and Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes

People always ask what I eat or what diet I'm on and I pretty much dabble in everything. Sometimes my meals are paleo and sometimes they are low carb. Other times they are rich pastas or delicious desserts. I'm a big fan of moderation. I've been trying to do a little more Paleo in the morning because we all eat different things at this house for breakfast so I can experiment a bit more.

I was pretty excited when I stumbled on to this recipe. Paleo and breakfast. Score!

At Crossfit my trainer told me about this breakfast they made where they cracked eggs into a tomato, baked them, and ate them. It sound very interesting and easy so I went on a search for temperatures and recipes.

I love pesto so of course this seemed like the obvious choice to try. I made these the next morning and they were awesome. Definitely not something I would make for the whole family since I am the only tomato lover in my house but definitely a me breakfast. I've made them a few times since and each time is better.

You should try these.

Egg and pesto stuffed tomatoes
adapted from Paleo Diet Lifestyle
2 large tomatoes
2 eggs
1 Tbs. pesto

Preheat oven to 400. Remove core and seeds from tomato. If it doesn't have a flat bottom slice a little off the bottom so that it sits upright. Place tomatoes in an 8x8 pan. Add pesto to tomato shell and crack one egg on top off pesto. Be careful to not break the yolk. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top. Bake 18-21 minutes. Remove from oven and Enjoy.

Pesto
*This recipe will make more than necessary but I just put it in the fridge or freeze it and use whenever.

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
2-3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Add basil, cheese, lemon juice, nuts, and garlic in to a food processor and pulse until combined. With motor running slowly drizzle olive oil in to food processor. Add salt and pepper.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment