Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Pesto and Pea Salad

When I went home to Vancouver Washington for our annual vacation to see my parents we arrived at 11:30 at night. Normally I would be asleep but Sam and I were both starving and I can always count on my Mom having delicious food in her fridge and once again she did not disappoint.

There was an nice size container of some of the best salad I've had. I love pesto so I knew this would be right up my alley. I asked my Mom for the recipe and then forgot to get it from her but it seemed pretty basic. Pesto, pasta, peas, and pine nuts. I knew I wanted to make m own pesto and I've made it weekly since our trip. It's a great, easy snack and the kids and Sam LOVE it.

Pesto and Pea Salad
adapted from Serious Eats


1 cup packed fresh basil or mint (or combination), plus more for garnish
1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
1 ounce (about 1/4 cup) freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts or pinenuts, plus more for garnish
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1-2 lemons (bottled lemon juice tastes different, use fresh)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound (8 ounces) gemelli pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
8 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) frozen green peas, thawed
6 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out

To make the pesto, combine the herbs, garlic, cheese, nuts, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse several times until finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta and peas. Add the pesto little by little until salad is adequately dressed. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice. Garnish salad with chopped nuts and chopped herbs, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment