Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookie

Back home in Vancouver there used to be a great little cookie store in our mall called "Cookie Cutter". They were a family owned, small business place. They had these amazing chocolate marshmallow cookies, I'm talking AMAZING!! I got one every time I went to the mall and these things were ginormous. Then another bigger and more corporate funded store came in and took enough business away from "Cookie Cutter" that they closed shop. I have been craving these cookies for the passed decade. Every so often I would do a Google search and see if I could find a recipe but all the recipes I could find were made from a cake mix, a marshmallow, and canned frosting... not exactly what I was looking for. Then a few months ago I found this blog and this recipe and I knew I needed to try it. Thankfully it cooled down yesterday which gave me the ability to have the oven on and we have friends coming over for dinner and I figured these would make a perfect dessert.


Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

1 egg, beaten
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Beat egg and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, shortening and melted chocolate. Blend well. Combine all dry ingredients into small bowl. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to chocolate mixture.  Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. I flattened mine out a little bit so they spread more.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. When the cookies are almost done cooking, remove from oven and place 1/2 of a large marshmallow on top of each cookie (I used a full marshmallow and it was great but next time I might get marshmallow creme so it's really gooey!!). Return to oven for about 1 minute or just until marshmallow puffs. Remove from oven, flatten marshmallow with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. I greased mine so the marshmallow wouldn't stick to it. Cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting. 
 
Chocolate frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk ( I used skim)

Beat softened butter in bowl. Add vanilla. Slowly beat in cocoa, powdered sugar, and milk. If needed, add more milk, a little at a time. 

Adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment