Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Creamy Garden Vegetable Soup

My roommate made me this when we lived in Utah and I loved it. It's a great way to use up zucchini because usually by this point in the season I've had enough zucchini whether it's grilled, deep fried, baked, or in some type of dessert but in this soup it gives great texture and AWESOME flavors. I forgot how much I loved this soup until I found it on Recipezaar. I was so excited I had to make it right away. We ate the whole pot!!

Bonus this soup is so easy even Sam can make it and he has very limited privileges in the kitchen due to the chicken-shrimp-pasta a roni debacle of '06. He actually made the soup tonight because I overbooked myself and it was delicious. He might even get his kitchen privileges back.

Creamy Garden Vegetable Soup

3 medium zucchini
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (If using dried decrease to 1 tsp.)
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 medium tomatoes
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk (can use fat-free or low-fat)
1 ½ cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Chop zucchinis and tomatoes to bite sized pieces. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the zucchini, basil, parsley and onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, stir occasionally. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir and cook for one minute. Gradually add the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice; mix well. Bring the soup to a simmer, stir to prevent anything from sticking, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the zucchini is tender but still has some bite to it (I always under cook it since it sits in the pot I really don't want it over done and mushy). Add the tomatoes, evaporated milk, and corn. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the soup and simmer until the corn and zucchini are tender. Stir in the cheese just before serving.

* Notes- When it's just my family (Sam, Wesli, Kellen, and Myself) I halve the recipe because it's not as great to me the next day because the zucchini get a little too mushy.

I usually make rolls or breadsticks with this and it's delicious but I didn't this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment