Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes... seriously!

I found a new blog the other day. How Sweet Eats. She used to be a personal trainer so she is very fit and active and the best thing is she loves food. I've had a hard time balancing between being fit and eating all the yumminess I make. I guess that is one reason I am teaching 5 Zumba classes a week. Some people work out because they enjoy it. I do enjoy it but mostly I enjoy food and so to justify eating the following recipe I Zumba as if my life depends on it. A couple of things I like about this recipe. Dark chocolate. Peanut butter. It's easy.

I love Reese's but sometimes you have no idea how old they are. I know how old my cupcakes are. They never live past two days. Seriously try these.

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup homemade fudge sauce (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add milk, cream, butter and vanilla, and mix until combined. Stir in sour cream. Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture. Mix until batter is smooth, then swirl in fudge sauce. Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.


Peanut Butter Buttercream
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup peanut butter
3-4 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons of milk
pinch of salt
Cream butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar with mixer on low speed and gradually add milk and vanilla extract. Mix until frosting is smooth. If too thick, add more milk; if too thin, add more sugar. Frost cupcakes as desired.


Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1 cup boiling water or scalding milk
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour in a bowl or pot over a double boiler. Bring water or milk to a boil. Gradually add hot liquid to sugar mixture. Stir constantly until mixture thickens.
Once it has reached the desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Drizzle over cupcakes and store the rest of the sauce in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.


* The only thing I did different was substitute applesauce for sour cream. I didn't have any sour cream and didn't want to run to the store. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment