Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2011

BBQ Pulled Chicken (Slow Cooker)

Some days are too hectic and I need a little help from my slow cooker. I think this is the most well used wedding present aside from my Kitchen-Aid mixer.

Now I am not a huge fan of chicken in the crock pot. If left to long it dries out and turn mealy. Where as with pork and beef it's more fool-proof but we love BBQ here so I had to try this recipe out. I loved it and with my french bread rolls and a little extra sauce it was a amazing. ( Also to come it's counterpart BBQ pulled pork).


 

BBQ Pulled Chicken 

adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
1 small to medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half moons
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fresh or frozen
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

Scatter the onions on the bottom of a slow cooker. Place chicken on top of the onions.
In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, mustard, molasses, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, Tabasco and salt. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the chicken is fork-tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5-6 hours (add an additional hour if using frozen chicken breasts).
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat. Return it back to the slow cooker, mixing it with the sauce. Serve the chicken hot on whole wheat rolls, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment