Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Creamy White Chili

 The Fall season here hit me like a ton of bricks. One day I was wearing t-shirts and shorts and the next sweater, coats, and scarves. I am not kidding you. It came out of nowhere and usually when that happens we get another week of warm nice weather kind of like an Indian summer. I'm still waiting for that week and I'm pretty sure it's not coming this year. So instead of complaining (more) I decided to get out my soup book and embrace it. 

Literally I hugged my soup book because I love soups. I don't post too many on here because I think they are usually too basic or I eat them so fast that I forget to take a picture. (Notice how the picture above is a half-eaten bowl of soup...) I'm not sure what it is about soups but the scream fall to me and since I am so nice I am going to try (really hard) to remember the blog and "click" then dig in.

This Creamy White Chili makes an appearance on our menu plan probably every other week and sometimes a few weeks in a row. The kids love it. The adults love it. It makes great leftovers for lunch. It has a touch of heat (completely to your liking) which warms you up inside. Plus it's just a great soup. Easy, quick, and delicious. So try it on the next cold day and you will be glad you did.

PS: This is amazing to dip tortilla chips in or a sprinkling of cilantro. I do it on mine and Sam's but the kids eat cilantro as long as they don't see it so much.

White Chili

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon oil
2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies (if you like less kick, add just one can)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)

In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder  in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Serve immediately.








No comments:

Post a Comment