Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Skillet Chicken Parmesan

I have fallen in love with skillet meals. They are usually quick and always delicious. Plus they don't use many dishes which is an added bonus.

I've made this dish at least 5 times this month. I love it because with all the seasonal tomatoes I have been using the ones fresh out of my garden. I have just blanched and peeled them and then I cook them like the recipe and they are amazing. I've also used the can of crushed tomatoes. They are equally good but I love when I can use things I've grown.

Skillet Chicken Parmesan
adapted from Cook's Country

*If you use tomatoes from your garden or whole tomatoes it will have a chunkier end result.
To make fresh bread crumbs pulse 2-3 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in the food processor until finely ground

1 1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs (or store-bought)
3 T. olive oil
1 1/4 c. fresh grated Parmesan
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
1/2 c. all purpose flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, halved horizontally
3 T. vegetable oil
3/4 c. shredded mozzarella
3/4 c. shredded provolone


Toast bread crumbs in large skillet over med-high heat about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and half the basil. In separate bowl combine remaining olive oil, 1/4 cup Parmesan, remaining basil, garlic, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste.

Place flour in dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat and add the chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer to plate and repeat. Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomato mixture. Place chicken back in the skillet and press down in sauce. Sprinkle cheese and cover and cook for 5 minutes until cheese melts. Sprinkle bread crumb all over and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment